[MUD-Dev] Storing tokens with flex & bison

Christer Enfors enfors at swipnet.se
Sun Jan 2 03:20:01 CET 2000

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> Christer Enfors wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Chris Turner wrote:
> >>
> >> The O'Reilly Lex & Yacc book is well written and contains many tutorials.
> >
> >Right, but it doesn't have a tutorial that involves storing the source
> >code in any format for later execution, which is what I'm looking for in
> >this case.
>

> Nod.  In order to use a byte code, one must first design and implement
> a virtual machine, or target it for an existing VM (i.e. Java)
> I think what you are looking for is documentation on designing Virtual
> Machines.  The way I learned was by snooping through all the notes,
> examples, and syllabus (syllabi?) left out on the net by university professors
> teaching it.  For some reason the CS course numbers (505 and 565) seem
> familar, though it has been a couple years.  :-(
> There's Sun's Java VM doc, the Smart tiny VM, the Luck VM, the ANTLR
> tutorial by Scott Stanchfield(?) that implements a language called
> X.  I don't know offhand of any books that cover VM design in depth.

Ah, now the pieces are starting to fall into place.

I am not supposed to use lex & yacc for the execution at all, am I? I
thought I was. All I should use lex & yacc for is the source code to byte
code compilation, right? And since my byte code is so clever / simple, I
can code the VM manually in C, without needing lex & yacc? Am I on the
right track now? =)

--
	             -=-=- Christer Enfors -=-=-

       "I do my music in pure machine code using an assembler."
			    - Rob Hubbard

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu