[MUD-Dev] Community Relations

Dundee SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Thu Jan 20 18:41:54 CET 2000

Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
> Mmmh, but if I got it right, you didn't cause the real problem=20

Not really.  Something you wrote in an earlier message about the weight =
of
anything an admin says being magnified by about 100, just because they =
are
admins:  I think, not realizing that (or ignoring it), I caused the whole
mess by being hostile and sarcastic.

> which was that banning was used in the heat of the moment by a person=20
> that (as far as I can tell) probably shouldn't have held those powers =
in the first
> place?

I think when we were running without any posted guidelines (or much of
anything else), an invitation-only, private club sort of thing, we didn't
have admins so much as we had bouncers.  She bounced.  'Did a pretty good
job, too.

It's only now that we're trying to ... ah... run things differently.

> I think perhaps only one calm person should have access to such
> functionality, and that you need policies for how to deal with such
> situations before they happen?

I agree.

> So how does your experiences as an admin compare to your or your
> friends' experiences with "bad admins"/"clueless designers" on UO?  =
What
> does the other side of the fence look like, so to speak?

I don't think the situations are similar enough to compare.  They aren't
paying us so they don't have the same sense of entitlement, they're =
afraid to
give me the kind of heat they gave to OSI (and not just afraid of admin
retribution, but afraid of being ostracized by the other players), we're =
*much* smaller group with the game itself being cooperative rather than
competitive, and we have a much higher player-admin ratio so there's just
less to complain about.

One fellow, quite a while back, took the aggressive "You're clueless, =
this is
stupid" approach to expressing himself.   The players banned him:  No one
would play with him or talk to him (other than to flood his mailbox with
flames).  He finally just got lonely enough to quit playing.  I think he =
went
back to OSI servers where he can call the admins names and the other =
players
giggle and attaboy him.

Anyway, when I'm not being a chump, the players defend me pretty
aggressively.

--=20
http://dundee.uong.com/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu