[MUD-Dev] Community Relations

Matthew Mihaly diablo at best.com
Thu Jan 20 19:16:23 CET 2000

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Ola Fosheim [iso-8859-1] Gr=F8stad wrote:

> Matthew Mihaly wrote:
> >=20
> > On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Ola Fosheim [iso-8859-1] Gr=F8stad wrote:
> > > Another analogy would be the old fashioned school system. "Listen to
> > > what I teach you, do what I say, and don't tell me I am wrong, becaus=
> > > then I'll whip your butts". I guess there must be a reason for why
> > > that's considered old fashioned?
> >=20
> > Yes, but I don't see how it is relevant. The children were forced to go=
> > schol. No one is forcing you to play a mud. The issue of choice is the
> > paramount issue to me.
>=20
> I think prisoners are forced to stay in court too? So why are you
> objecting to my analogy if your own was basically screwed?

Perhaps I'm addled at the moment, but what analogy of mine are you
referring to? Also, an idea of mine being invalid shouldn't prevent me
from pointing out flaws in someone elses. I certainly have never claimed
to be perfect.

=20
> Some people are in essence trapped in MUDs and I am not entirely
> convinced that they are any more free to leave than those kids are.  If
> that is an important issue to you.  (Are you trying to tell me that kids
> and adults require different treatment due to some kind of arbitrary
> beliefsystem?)

Trapped in a mud, my ass. How many people do you know that can't just turn
the computer off? Even a heroin addict can stop. On the other hand, I've
had relatives tortured and imprisoned by the hated Soviet military, and I
can tell you that they were not _in essence_ trapped in their cells. They
were, quite actually, trapped.=20

> > Oh, i agree, definitely not required for that, but I hardly see where
> > administering a mud efficiently is the goal of the vast majority of mud
> > admins.
>=20
> Really? Explain.

It's been my experience that most mud admins (most mud admins being
hobbyists) are in it for the ego trip. Not all are of course, but I don't
think most mud admins actually do any real thinking at all about running
their mud beyond what feature to put in next, or whatnot.

=20
> > > Does the "evil" God reward you for insulting the "good" God?
> >=20
> > Gasp, definitely not. Doing so would weaken the respect that the
> > institution of Godhood must hold for our system to be effective.
>=20
> So the setting is basically just a shallow surface for obtaining control
> and not a goal in it's own right?

That's right. From my perspective, nothing in Achaea is a goal in it's own
right. It's all a method of getting them to give us money, like all
commercial muds that I've seen.
--matt

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu