[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #163 - 25 msgs

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Mon Jul 17 04:56:41 CEST 2000

  Dave Rickey wrote:

>      The point of all of this is that I'm not asking "What do Socializers
> *do* in these games?", I'm asking "How do Socializers *play* these games?"
> In-game message-boards, player-to-player mail, yes, these are tools for the
> Socializer, but they all amount to saying "Socializers chat a lot, so how
> can we give them more ways to chat?"  The real question should be "How do we
> give them something meaningful to chat *about*, give other players incentive
> to chat *with* them, and reward the Socializers in the game context?"

Absolutely. This is one thing I like a lot about handing mud government
over to the players. Politics gives people a chance to do something of
significance to the game world that focuses around socialization.

As for economics, I think Tradewars is a good demonstration of how
enthusiastically achiever types react to this sort of thing. It's not
only the socializers who benefit here, and the non-grief pkillers would
enjoy other opportunities to compete as well.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/              http://www.indie-games.com/
Smarter than God? No, but I'm smarter than he was when he was my age.