[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #164 - 12 msgs

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Mon Jul 17 05:00:22 CEST 2000

  DrCat wrote:

> The point is, I'm confident this will happen, and happen during the
> lifetimes of most of the people on this list even (barring any major
> accidents).  It is a major part of the territory of "things to discuss
> about how muds could/should/would be".  The listmembers can go by their
> own preferences and cover or ignore any segment of the mudding universe,
> of course.  It's just my role to point out every year or two that the
> majority of the territory is being totally ignored by most listmembers,
> and in fact some of them apparently fail to be aware that it even exists
> while formulating their perspectives on various issues.  That's all.  I
> certainly agree that D&D has been amazingly dominant in influencing muds
> (and single user dungeons too) for the last 25 years.  I just don't think
> that point is particularly important in the long term, it's an interesting
> historical curiosity that we just happen to live in the midst of by the
> chance of the timing of our births.

On the other hand, it's hard to question the fact that the movie
industry is mainstream, yet the biggest money-makers revolve around
blowing people up. Violent conflict and fast action aren't going away,
although they'll likely end up with less than the total dominance
they've experienced over the last 10 years.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/              http://www.indie-games.com/
Smarter than God? No, but I'm smarter than he was when he was my age.