[MUD-Dev] Sustainable Ecosystem

Timothy Dang tdang at U.Arizona.EDU
Wed Jul 19 10:43:08 CEST 2000

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, S. Patrick Gallaty wrote:

> I was one of the early beta testers in the first big commercial graphical
> MPOG, UO.  UO had in the original phases a concept of ecosystem where
> populations were interrelated, where wolves fed on rabbits and so forth.
>
> As raph can attest however, what he didn't anticipate was that we as players
> would utterly wipe out the various populations of critters, regardless of
> any need of our own.  If it moved, we killed it or at least tried to kill
> it.  Birds, bunnies, snakes, deer, wandering NPCs, town guards...

I think this is an important distinction to consider. I'm fairly certain
folks creating just simulations have created viable simulated
ecologies. That can be done. Whether and how the ecology can survive
contact with players is a different matter.

Timothy O'Neill Dang / Cretog8
520-321-4015
One monkey don't stop no show.