[MUD-Dev] Sustainable Ecosystem

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Fri Jul 21 00:14:25 CEST 2000

  Timothy Dang wrote:

> I think this is an important distinction to consider. I'm fairly certain
> folks creating just simulations have created viable simulated
> ecologies. That can be done. Whether and how the ecology can survive
> contact with players is a different matter.

I suspect it can't as long as those NPCs supply infinite supplies of a
major natural resource like, say, XP. Pelts may be devalued due to
quantity, but few systems do that with XP values of NPCs, I've never
seen one where furries became unworthy of the effort. Gain-by-use skill
systems can be subject to the same problem.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/              http://www.indie-games.com/
Smarter than God? No, but I'm smarter than he was when he was my age.