[MUD-Dev] curses and grief players

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Fri Jul 21 00:09:24 CEST 2000

jolsen at micron.net wrote:

> From: Greg Miller <gmiller at classic-games.com>
> > Not every individual's best interest aligns with the group all the
> > time.
> > Letting the group decide, however, works out to the groups best
> > interest.
>
> The voting majority's best interest, you mean.

Right--where "voting" is used in a very flexible way, meaning anything
from a flexible vote to simply pkilling people you disagree with.

> > As I noted previously, I feel (as do some others here) that my mud
> > is
> > designed for the players. Hence, by definition, there interests
> > are
> > those of the mud.
>
> Designed for which players, though?  Whichever players happen to be
> active this month?  That group of unruly college freshmen who all
> happened to storm the gates at the same time?  Don't you have a
> responsibility to tailor the MUD to be consistently enjoyable to
> certain kinds of players?  And isn't it often true that a minority of
> players provide the most leadership/roleplay/general value to the MUD?
> How do you hear their wishes?

Not really. I don't feel that being there first stakes any claim, and
once you quit, that reduces my interest in your desires. As for general
value, I leave it to the players to decide who's contributing to their
enjoyment and be nicer to them than to people they don't find valuable.

> It has been noted that players don't necessarily know what they want or
> what would be in their best interest.  I know that in my first days of

Neither do admins, really. The key is in having more than 50% right more
than 50% of the time. In RL democracies and capitalist economies, people
make stupid decisions, but such systems seem to work better than the
alternatives.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/              http://www.indie-games.com/
Smarter than God? No, but I'm smarter than he was when he was my age.