[MUD-Dev] Roleplaying in Muds

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 23 13:16:40 CEST 2000

On Friday, July 21, 2000, Ben wrote:

>     Many MUDs make the mistake of assuming that the role everyone wants to
> play is that of a hack-n-slashing mass murderer... not everybody feels that
> way.  I think that the best way to make a roleplaying MUD is to completely
> do away with "levels" and the such.  Instead make a system where experience
> is also earned through complex and in-depth quests, and make it so that the
> levels don't affect your power and damage, but instead affect just what
> weapons and stuff you can use.

I'd like to point out that just because two things commonly are put
together doesn't mean they *have* to go together.  You can have a
level system in which levels don't affect combat power.  You can have
level systems in which experience doesn't have to be gained through
combat.

(Small note; you're contradicting yourself in this post.  First you
say that levels should be completely done away with, then you say that
levels should affect what weapons and things can be used.  Do you want
levels or not?)

I must say, though, that I don't generally like systems where
equipment can only be used by certain levels of characters, unless
there's a good in-game reason for it.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_    Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>