[MUD-Dev] curses and grief players

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Sun Jul 23 13:38:51 CEST 2000

  Nicholas Daley wrote:

> Greg Miller wrote:
> RL example: Hitler was voted into power.

Yet, ultimately, the majority was able to apply sufficient force to
remove him from power. It wasn't the most efficient success ever, but it
ultimately succeeded.

As I've mentioned before, you don't need 100% success to be better than
other existing systems.

> In a MUD: you'd need a very large playerbase, otherwise there would be
> the opportunity for large group of people A to disadvantage slightly
> smaller group B.  Also players can easily vote more than once by making

But if disadvantaging smaller group B makes the rest of the playerbase
happier, you may be much better off and you almost certainly aren't much
worse off than if it didn't happen.

> more than one character... majority rules doesn't work so well when some
> people have extra votes.

That's debatable. Note, for example, capitalism which almost never
functions based on exactly even power, yet succeeds nicely.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/              http://www.indie-games.com/
Smarter than God? No, but I'm smarter than he was when he was my age.