[MUD-Dev] Roleplaying in Muds

Malcolm Valentine spin at fastlink.com.au
Thu Jul 27 18:40:26 CEST 2000

Colin Coghill <C.Coghill at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> Would the character not pick up the platinum bars because the character
> wouldn't know they were valuable, when the player knows they'd purchase
> a nice piece of land, etc.

Travis Casey replied:
> That's actually the sort of test I was thinking of when I created my
> definition of what roleplaying is.

  *Chuckle* A smart player could devise an IC reason for collecting
something they knew was worthwile, when the character would not. They
could first argue that because they were in a locked vault/hidden room,
they must be worth something. Failing that, they could merely pick them
up on some other pretext.
"I wonder if Fhen the armourer could turn these into some nice looking
goblets."
 .
.
 .
"Really Fhen, this is platinum, and it is worth a lot? I never would
have guessed, I just liked the colour."

  This of course is just the inverse of how a determined "DM" can manipulate
(sorry John B. *wink*) the players and their environment into participating
in activities the DM finds interesting/intended for the players all along.

  Long term play should expose the behavioural patterns of a player,
provided consistent observation could be undertaken (no small task indeed).

Cheers,
  Malcolm V. - Not suggesting you force players to record their characters
               favorite five colours.