[MUD-Dev] Balance... RPG or Role-Playing Game?

Malcolm Valentine spin at fastlink.com.au
Thu Jul 27 21:11:18 CEST 2000

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000, Ben wrote:
>     RPGs today have come to mean something completely different than the
> exact meaning of their acronyms.  Usually you Play the Role of a Hero.  NOT
> an ordinary person.  I feel that a MUD such as DartMud lacks that aspect.
> People play games today for the combat.  If you take that away, what does
> the game ammount to... at toddlers RPG.  I feel that Role Playing is good to
> a point.  If you play a role as deeply as some people feel you should, you
> don't just get to fool around and have fun, it becomes a serious, full time
> endeavor.  Personally I prefer the kind of game that has you play the role
> of a hero.  It provides a greater relief from everyday life, and let's you
> play occasionally for entertainment, instead of playing constantly to build
> an online fake 'life'.

I was going to post about the popularity of civilian flight simulators
and golfing games, but that has pretty much been covered by others. I would
however like to point out one of the most famous persons (Hero) of the 20th
century is remembered because he believed in "Passive Resistance", not
"body count".

Cheers,
  Malcolm V.