[MUD-Dev] Intro

Tamzen Cannoy tamzen at worldbenders.com
Tue Jun 6 22:42:02 CEST 2000

Greetings, I'm Tamzen Cannoy.

Chris Allen suggested I should get on here, so I've been reading a
week or so and going back and reading the archives. A lot to digest
there, even only skimming for my own interests.

I'm a bit of an anomaly here. While I've been a wizard, I'm mostly a
player. And an RPer of the type that is NOT the market for which most
here are aiming. :) I play on Mushes, consent based RP, no
advancement except for RP, etc.

In '92 some friends and I started World Benders which created Meeting
Space, the first  on-line meeting software. It was a mud we wrote,
for specific business applications. Predated the WEB. Man I hate
those Ru-Paul WebEx ads. That was exactly our product. :)

I know I'm not much of a target for the commercial game market. I
can't play 3D games, they make me sick to my stomach with vertigo. I
don't like shoot em-ups. I don't like most competitive games with
scores and levels. I like puzzles, sims, Myst and Moria style games.
And I am a Mac user. Boy, am I not the market or what? :)

But I Mush a lot, between 5 and 12 hrs most days and have for a full
10 years on June 12. I don't want to play massively multi-player
games. What I want is quality. A nice dedicated mush with 40 terrific
players is much better for me than one with 400 okay players. I
probably have several books worth of text logs of my characters'
lives and it actually stands up as decent prose and literature when I

I don't want combat and levels and nit picky rules for my chars, but
I do want political and personal conflict (up to my angst level). I
want romances, and murders, and plots for the throne and poisonings
and weddings and social climbing and shots in the dark. I want
economic ruin, and war and disaster but I want happiness, love, dear
friendships and babies too sometimes. More than anything I want wit
and correct grammar and spelling and sentences with big words in
them. :)  I want the bad stuff in small doses and the good stuff in
bigger ones.

So for now, the only sort of thing that are like that that I've found
are the RP only mushes. Or historical fiction but it's not very
interactive. :)

But I'm very interested in the  design and running of muds, because I
hope someday there is a way to create and make money with the small
sorts of games *I* like. I'm interested to know how far out of the
norm I fall and if there are even enough people like me that it's
worth trying to lure us off of the games we've currently set up home
on.

--

Tamzen