[MUD-Dev] Birthday Cake (or Why Large Scale Sometimes Sucks) (long)

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jun 9 04:39:40 CEST 2000

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Jon A. Lambert wrote:

> > J C Lawrence wrote:
> > What exactly constitutes a multiplayer game?
> >

> Diplomacy.  Always my model of a PURE multiplayer game.
>
> 1) Impossible to play without human opponents.
> 2) Impossible to win without direct player cooperation.
> 3) Impossible to win without direct player conflict and competition.
> 4) No way to solo.  No computer playing aids that I am aware of.

Damn skippy, except I don't think that 3 is all that relevant, as I don't
see why there has to be a way to definitively "win", unless you just mean
that winning is whatever an individual player considers it to be.

After I wrote my first post on this subject (which basically said what you
did except less succinctly), it occurred to me that politics (or diplomacy
as you call it) are the essence of multiplayer games.

--matt