[MUD-Dev] Mud Network Setup

cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
Fri Mar 3 19:05:51 CET 2000

[<adam at treyarch.com>:]

> This is what, IMO, makes DSL superior to a cable modem (especially for
> server tasks): despite being an order of magnitude slower on the low end,
> the bandwidth is always there, steady as a rock.  Cable modems can get
> very bad during the day.

That can certainly happen with cable modems, but the results can vary
a lot. Different cable companies run different technologies of modems,
and have different policies. Some technologies can deliver lots more
raw shared bandwidth than others. Some cable companies have much lower
limits on how many customers they will put on one "strand". I'd guess
that various combinations can differ by factors of 2 or 3 in what the
minimum available bandwidth is.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu