[MUD-Dev] Object and class heirarchies -- are they really necessary?

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Tue Mar 28 17:09:51 CEST 2000

On Tue 28 Mar, Kevin Littlejohn wrote:

I tried to follow this thread, decided that most of it went rather
over my head but there was one thing I wanted to ask about.

> It is _very_ handy for being able to change the world physics without
> restarts - introduce new concepts (like weight, size, etc) on-line, tinker
> with them, remove them again, without actually disturbing
> players/builders/visitors.

I do not understand why this would be so important. Why not simply
restart the mud after you made some extensive changes? Every other
mud that I have played had, at some point in time, a test game up,
that was used for new ideas. If they worked out they were incorpo-
rated in the actual game, if not, they were discarded.  Seems much
more sensible to me to do things that way.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey