[MUD-Dev] Are eBay sales more than just a fad?

Matthew Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Sep 20 08:16:24 CEST 2000

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services wrote:

> Personally, I don't think it is so much an issue of real life spilling over to
> the game world as much as preconceived notions about what is 'fair' in an online
> role-playing game.
>
> In the Olympic games, real life skill definitely tends to spill over into the
> 'game world.'  After all, the whole concept of the games is based on real life
> skill.  It is this same concept that causes us to repudiate outside influences
> such as steroids.

Bad example you've chosen there, given that it is generally the
countries who spend the most money on a particular sport that win that
event. It's not a situation of "I spent the most, therefore I win." but
the fact is that those who spend more tend to win more. It's that way in
nearly every organized sport. Training facilities, top-notch coaches, and
so on, all cost tons of money and create winners. It's no coincidence that
the countries that will dominate the medal stands at the Olympics are all
countries that put a lot of money into sports.

> of skill can often cost non-trivial amounts.  I find $1000 for clubs and $35 for
> green fees prohibitive...so I play tennis instead of golf.  But I don't pretend
> that, therefore, golf must not be a game of skill or even that tennis is
> grounded more firmly in skill than golf is.

Quite right. Same goes for many sports. Auto racing or yachting, for
instance, where there are proprietary products (cars and boats) used, that
cost a whole load of money to develop, and those with more money to throw
at them do better.

> Certainly a pastime *can* be based more on money than skill, and I would think
> that it is a stretch to call such a pursuit a game.  It seems insulting to the
> very concept of 'game.'  But, while I don't particularly like Matt's approach to
> MUD design, if it is still primarily based on skill, I don't see how it can be
> considered any less legitimate than golf as a pastime and even a role-playing
> game.  If I find the cost prohibitive, though, I won't play it.

Naturally. People who find the cost prohibitive are not an audience we
care about. Likewise people who find $10/month prohibitive are not an
audience that Everquest cares about, I'd imagine.

--matt