[MUD-Dev] StoryTelling Devices: "Magic Book"

Eric Rhea eric at enkanica.com
Fri Sep 22 01:46:00 CEST 2000

I recommend checking out the movie and applying the context of some of the
newer 3D MMOGs on scene. This little gadget inspired more ideas than some
of the other tech wonders I see being prototyped.

Science Daily:

"A Magic Book looks like a traditional book - it has text and colorful
pictures. But look at it through a lightweight viewer and moving,
three-dimensional images jump off the page. People can read the book
together, interacting as they read the story and simultaneously viewing
the virtual images from different angles.

"But the experience doesn't end there. With the turn of a switch, readers
can "fly" into a scene to become part of the action. If more than one
person steps into the story, participants can see one another as
"avatars," characters that represent people in the virtual world."

http://www.sciencedaily.com (Sept 22, 2000)
http://www.hitl.washington.edu/magicbook/
http://www.hitl.washington.edu/magicbook/movies/MagicBookImmersion.mov

-Eric