Economic & Currency Solutions (was RE: [Mud-Dev] Broken currencies)

Timothy Dang tdang at U.Arizona.EDU
Sat Apr 7 21:44:41 CEST 2001

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Matt Mihaly wrote:

> Once again I believe the essential problem with this is a lack of
> avenues for investing money. If there is a reason to invest and ways
> to do it, then you don't have a big problem with hoarding (the
> amount of money stuck in mattresses in the US is trivial, for
> instance.

I'm wondering if you've got a PvP bias here. I've never played on an
explicitly PvP-concentrating MUD. Nonetheless, I'd expect the economic
dynamics to be significantly different. It sounds like on a
primarily-PvE MUD, there's a problem with losing desire at the top of
the level ladder, because there isn't much left to acquire. In a PvP
environment, if resources can be sunk into bashing your enemy, the
competition at the top should motivate nonsatiation for the players.

I'm wondering how much a good investment system would change things in
a PvE game that doesn't engineer some way to keep everybody wanting
more.