[DESIGN] Re: Economic & Currency Solutions (was RE: [Mud-Dev] Broken currencies)

Derek Licciardi kressilac at home.com
Sun Apr 8 12:26:38 CEST 2001

Not sure that I agree with you entirely.  You have reduced the
dynamics of trade, currency and economy to a single dimension system
where everything revolves around items.  Players need money in a game
for various reasons as designed by the developers of the game.  I
believe someone brought up the true reason why players trade items
instead of money in the later stages of their game lives.  The primary
reason for this is a function of inflation.  If a player sells an item
for gold and inflation keeps rising at the rates we see in most muds,
then the gold they hold today won't be worth as much when they want to
buy something to replace what was sold.  Since items are more
inflation proof, rampant inflation tends to lead to items being used
as the basis for trade due to their increased financial stability.

The availability of money only adds to the inflation trend much in the
same way as it does in the real world.  If the feds print money like
the Mexicans did in the 90s, then we would see the dollar plummet in
value much in the same way as the peso declined then.

Given even these two variables we can see that the system has to be
more dynamic(there are many more variables).  The more dynamic you
make the system, the larger the requirement is for being able to
administer that system and keep it operating in a healthy manner.  My
suggestion about using some sort of index to monitor the health of the
world would need to be implemented along with the appropriate tools to
adjust the rate of money creation as needed to correct the economy.
>From that standpoint, the index is nothing more than a mud
administrators tool and an overal guage on the health of the economy.

Given the state of affairs in many muds today, this has to be
something of a step forward because most muds do not report a single
thing on their economy and the current/historical state of it.  They
can tell you complete logs of commands, mobs fought, combat, and a
slew of other things, but how to beat the inflation rate is usually a
fact that is accepted as unalterable.  I guess I don't agree and am
looking to figure out how to manage it.

Derek Licciardi