[MUD-Dev] Movie grosses

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Apr 11 18:17:43 CEST 2001

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Brian 'Psychochild' Green wrote:

> Now, whether nor not counting gross income from all games to income
> from just box office receipts is valid is the topic for a whole
> other post.

Nod, I'm aware of what the article's point was. My point is mainly
that comparing it to box office receipt sseems a bit silly, especially
when, as I understand it, the standard figure for games industry
revenue even includes hardware such as consoles and handhelds. That
article didn't even include DVD players or VCRs.

I'm willing to exclude music sales from movie grosses, but I don't see
any logical reason to exclude revenue from cable and tv, home rental,
video-on-demand, etc.

That article also did not include revenue generated by
Bollywood. Bollywood releases way more movies than Hollywood does (and
Hollywood is not "the movie industry."), but may be economically
insignificant due to the fact that nobody has any money in India.

--matt