[MUD-Dev] [BIZ] Advertising sprawl (yahoo)

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Wed Apr 18 09:08:37 CEST 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Vincent Archer <archer at nevrax.com>

> Of course, being a little more tech savvy than the average web
> surfer, I already have a local proxy installed, and am stuffing it
> full of blocked domains, like banner-mania.com, doubleclick, and all
> that.

> And it is real strange to visit some sites full of white holes on
> their pages :)

And I'm using a program that kills all browser window popups before
they even appear.  There's no long-term future in more intrusive
advertising as a support for content.  As it gets more intrusive, the
software to stop it will get more sophisticated and easier to use.

This verges on out of context social commentary, but I really can't
see what can be accomplished by more advertising, in games or anywhere
else.  We've reached the point where the average savings of the
american consumer is a negative number, just where is more sales
supposed to come from?

--Dave Rickey