[MUD-Dev] TECH: Flash Crowds and overflow control

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Wed Apr 18 10:24:55 CEST 2001

According to Marc Bowden:

> Not to display my ignorance, but what is a 'portal storm'?

A mechanism for crowd control in AC. If there are too many people
congregating within a volume, a "portal storm" started (swirly effects
clustering on characters). If you stayed, eventually, the portal storm
began in earnest, and the oldest characters in the area were grabbed
and "portaled" (teleported) to a random location adjacent to the area.

Murphy willing, you usually landed in a clump of big monsters that
proceeded to shred you to pieces. :)

One popular city was widely known for its fierce portal storms. 'till
it was obliterated during an event :)

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!