[MUD-Dev] [BIZ] Advertising sprawl (yahoo)

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Thu Apr 19 10:29:26 CEST 2001

According to Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com:

> I wonder about that, as personally I skip over magazine adverts just
> the same as web page ones! It always seemed to me that they didn't
> pay much for the adverts as it was all contingent on a click
> through. This never seemed like a fair comparison with a magazine
> advert to me and it makes me think that the added transparency of
> the web model was possibly more its undoing than anything else.

In a non-game-related topic, there's a rising controversy over Tivo
boxes right now. For those not in the know, Tivo makes "digital VTR"
boxes. Not exactly VTRs, since you can't extract the recordings from
the boxes, but it saves TV programs on a huge harddisk (plus other
functions, like auto-download of TV programmes, and nice selection of
your months viewing, or a search engine "record me all Star Trek
reruns, but only once, no matter where/when they're shown").

Tivo's main advantage is that you can watch while recording, and like a
DVD, can skip instantaneously to any point. The trick? People would
start watching a show 10-15mn late, and use a nifty functionality which
skipped 30s of the show instantaneously.

Guess at which points of a show people used that functionality? :)

(from what I hear, Tivo's latest version - Tivo boxes self upgrade -
has removed that functionality, no doubt under pressure from networks)

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!