[MUD-Dev] [BIZ] New EQ Expansion

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Tue Apr 24 12:02:50 CEST 2001

Well some of you may have noticed that a new EQ expansion is planned
for the end of this year. What I find somewhat remarkable is the
completely new graphics engine.

This is purely conjecture on my part, but it seems as if they may have
ditched any plans for EQ2 and migrated the engine down to EQ1. Much in
the same way that Origin have decided to continue with the original UO
as opposed to UO2.

Its easy to see why they might do this. Many people have considerable
emotional investment in the game by now, and restarting a new game
gives people one of Raph's 'opportunities for exit' (or whatever its
called <G>).  In addition the world is fairly sizable now, so dumping
it to start again would plainly be very costly. Assuming I'm right
about this, one wonders how long ago they made that decision...

Having said that, I don't see myself playing the game for much longer,
as the game has some fundamental design flaws which makes me wonder
whether or not it should just be expunged.

Dan