[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Mon Apr 30 08:57:44 CEST 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 22:02:21 -0700, "Steven Fleischaker"
<kuvasza at winterreach.com> wrote:

> The little exposure I've had to multiple threads has left me feeling
> that working with multiple threads is like building a swiss clock.

It's actually a lot simpler than it seems, if you understand the major
problem with thread synchronisation: two threads should not access the
same data at the same time. That's pretty much it. So the less data
you share between threads, the better. The fewer threads that *change*
the shared data, the better. That won't solve all your problems, but
it will make them a lot easier to account for.