[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Mon Apr 30 09:02:17 CEST 2001

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:38:45 -0400, "Jon Lambert"
<tychomud at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Any new ideas on efficient network designs that handle large numbers
> of sockets?

Virtually nobody is releasing source code for high-performance TCP
network servers where the socket STAYS OPEN for extended periods of
time. There are web servers which support HTTP 1.1 keepalive, but
that's not quite the same thing. I've found many clients which do
this, but no servers to speak of. I don't think I'm smart enough to
design one, so I'm just sort of faking it. ;)