TECH: STL / Heaps, etc. (was: [MUD-Dev] TECH DGN: a few mud server design questions (long))

Fri Aug 3 01:44:18 CEST 2001

Eli Stevens wrote:
> problems with the STL lurking under the surface?  One aspect that
> concerned me was that while it specifies the complexity of a given
> operation, you don't have any control over the coefficients
> involved.  Would it be a bad idea to rely on it too much?

It is probably a good idea to wrap it up in an abstraction.  In the long
run you might want to replace the priority heap with sorting into
buckets followed by a regular sort for efficiency reasons.

> I guess that would be hard to answer without a specific problem at
> hand.  :(

Not to mention a specific implementation...

What I seriously dislike about STL is the lists.  Completely under
powered compared to the hand-coded alternative hack.

--
Ola  -  http://www.notam.uio.no/~olagr/