TECH: STL / Heaps, etc. (was: [MUD-Dev] TECH DGN: a few mud server design questions (long))

Ling Lo ling at slimy.com
Fri Aug 3 02:09:53 CEST 2001

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Eli Stevens wrote:
> From: "Caliban Tiresias Darklock" <caliban at darklock.com>

> I love the standard template library.  Unabashedly.  ;) Of course,
> it helps that it is for my language of choice and that I like
> templates just a little too much (when templates are your only
> tool, everything looks like a nail :).  I think the STL is a Good
> Thing, but my practical/real world experience is limited.  Are
> there problems with the STL lurking under the surface?  One aspect
> that concerned me was that while it specifies the complexity of a
> given operation, you don't have any control over the coefficients
> involved.  Would it be a bad idea to rely on it too much?

You might be interested in the book below:

Meyers, Scott
  Effective STL: 50 Specific Ways to Improve Your Use of the Standard
  Template Library

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201749629/qid=996829169/sr=1-1/ref=sc_b_1/103-9532389-4862258

Related but not STL specific, I found Exceptional C++ to be useful
in telling me what on earth C++ does on the voodoo level:

Sutter, Herb
  Exceptional C++: 47 Engineering Puzzles, Programming Problems, and
  Solutions

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201615622/qid=996829499/sr=1-1/ref=sc_b_1/103-9532389-4862258

While I'm here, can any recommend a book for Java that goes beyond
hype, webpages, applets and all things trivial?

--
  |   Ling Lo
_O_O_