[MUD-Dev] Java tidbits (was: Re: TECH: STL / Heaps, etc.)

Ling Lo ling at slimy.com
Mon Aug 6 03:34:30 CEST 2001

I've merged the Java replies.

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Chris Jones wrote:

[book recommendation snipped - thanks]

> One of the nice things about Java is that the classes are so rich
> that there's probably a way to do what you want fairly simply,
> already setup for you.  The hard part is finding it.

Yes, true.  I've found that there are an awful lot of paper books on
Java now available on the web.  I'm not entirely sure if they are
illegal or if the authors felt like giving.

I've only been using Java for a month now and I have a happy
scrolling single player game.  I'm still debating whether to make it
an isometric scroller with 3D objects or sprite-based.  Does Java3D
utilise the hardware?  In any case, I've noticed that software 3D
rendering in Java has become viable due to the sickening speed of
current computers.

A colleague of mine dug up pretty much what I was looking for:

Java Gotchas:

  http://mindprod.com/gotchas.html

Ideally, I'd like to know about more of the same.  There's a lot of
documentation on different parts of Java and how to put them
together (thanks to Sun's immense resources) but not enough of the
intricacies.  It's similar to when programming on a GUI and the
application listens to a GUI event - is the event sent before or
after the operation?

[reply to other poster follows]

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Paul Schwanz wrote:
> Ling Lo wrote:

>> While I'm here, can any recommend a book for Java that goes
>> beyond hype, webpages, applets and all things trivial?

> I can't, but you probably could find some good recommendations at:

>   http://www.javagaming.org/

This particular site seems to have died in the last month.  This is
a shame since the "next big thing" for Java and games is on the J2ME
mobiles/PDAs.  All they had to do was hold out long enough...

> You could also check out:

>   http://www.cosm-game.com/

> The folks over there seem to know a thing or two about using java
> to program an MMORPG.  I imagine they could recommend some good
> books.

Thanks.  I might try and get them on this list at the same time (if
they're not already).

--
  |   Ling Lo
_O_O_