[MUD-Dev] d20

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 6 09:34:25 CEST 2001

Saturday, August 04, 2001, 12:32:44 AM, SeronisROTv3 at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 8/3/01 1:48:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> jfreeman at verant.com writes:

>> According to the FAQ, you can't use the d20 system to create an
>> "Interactive Game".

>>     http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?x=dt20010417d

>>     Q: Does the definition of an "Interactive Game" preclude me
>>     from creating an online RPG, MUD, MUSH, MOO, etc.?

>>     A: Yes

> Ok question..  doesnt this lisence just limit what you're creating
> if you plan on using the D20 logo or mention D&D as a source?
> I've wrote 2 mud code bases that in almost every detail used the
> d20 system exactly in calculating all combat modifyers and that
> was even before i knew Wizards owned the system.  So does that
> make my previous two games illegal or does it just mean i cant put
> the d20 logo on them?

When did you write these?  The "d20 System" wasn't released until
last year...

I'd guess that what you mean is that you based your combat system on
a prior version of D&D -- however, while the prior versions of D&D
have some similarities to the d20 System, they didn't use it.

I'd say that your previous two games are not illegal.  xD&D is
protected only by copyright, not by patent -- thus, the ideas in it
are not protected, only the expression of them.  Of course, I am not
a lawyer.

But, to put it another way -- considering that Palladium, Arduin,
Bard Games, and several other games and companies have all basically
used D&D mechanics, and none of them were sued for it, you probably
don't have much to worry about.  :-)

--
Travis Casey
efindel at earthlink.net