[MUD-Dev] Something in the water

SavantKnowsAll at cs.com SavantKnowsAll at cs.com
Wed Aug 8 03:50:47 CEST 2001

In a message dated 8/6/01 12:39:15 AM Pacific Daylight Time, jessica at mm3d.com
writes:

> At least on GEnie, both Simutronics and Mythic did this to great
> effect and popularity.  I forget how Simu rewarded people; in
> Mythic's Dragon's Gate, the 'bonus' was an on-the-fly adventure,
> situation or quest, run by the invisible GM and usually with help
> from 1 or 2 other GMs.

Simutronics would watch you invisibly, then react according to the
situation. For the most part, if it was very good RP, you got a
bonus in the order of straight EXP, or a modifier to the rate at
which you gained EXP - both rewards had levels (1-4, if I remember
correctly - 4 being the best possible reward).

Also, if the situation called for it and assuming the GM had enough
time or what have you, they would spawn creatures, appear as random
NPC's, run invasions, etc... depending on what the situation called
for.

It was, without a doubt, one of the best features of Gemstone III.
The fact that I could be rewarded simply for staying
in-character... or if I did it well enough, I could have an actual
in-game Deity speak to me...  Wow. :)

Could it work in an MMOG?  Dunno...

-Daniel