[MUD-Dev] Personality Types (was Anarchy Online (was Community Feeling))

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Wed Aug 15 13:22:29 CEST 2001

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Ling Lo wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Ian Collyer wrote:

>> The Bartle Test at andreasen.org (www.andreasen.org/bartle/) asks
>> for MBTI type after you have taken the test, but I couldn't find
>> any stats on MBTI on the site.

> I have reservations about the above test.  Mainly that it uses
> leading questions and the questions tend to be very similar to
> each other.  It's almost like having the same questions reworded.

> Not being the psychologist type, can anyone give a better critique
> of the survey's design?

If all the questions are similarly leading and very similar in
wording, you get the least interference. If you tried to make
imaginative wording for each type of question, you would suffer
under different questions being more leading than others. Making
leading questions would give you some kind of 'extreme value
distribution' on the answers, as more people would answer toward the
lead as not.

Usually the more questions you have, the more such interference
would even out. What would be neat would be to have a survey with a
thousand questions, and do a components analysis to see which
questions were answered similarly. As i only took the test once, i
do not know if the order of questions were shuffled. This is usually
a good idea to eliminate the noise from previous questions.

Hans Henrik Stærfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk      |
Address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425     __|
DTU, Kemitorvet,        | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological     |
bygn 208, CBS.          |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of Denmark|