[MUD-Dev] TECH: programming languages (was: Re: TECH: STL / H eaps, etc.)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Fri Aug 17 10:27:37 CEST 2001

> From: Justin Rogers [mailto:justin at mlstoday.com]

> I will admit that it currently works best for tools, but having
> worked on several game projects using .NET I can also say it
> integrates well with DirectX and OpenGL for client graphics.  Its
> extremely scalable on the server offering depending on the models
> you use.  Great DB connectivity interfaces, awesome XML support
> built in, ability to do on the fly modifications to classes is
> built into the CLR (see Reflection and AppDomain stuff in the
> docs).

Aren't there severe performance issues working in interop mode
(bridging between old-style code and .net code requires a proxy for
you non .net people)? I imagine that would stifle direct X work to a
large extent?

> I'm just wondering why someone (other than me) hasn't started
> working with .NET to produce some sort of code-base.  I realize
> the Beta idea is holding some people back, but I haven't had many
> issues moving my code base from Beta 1 to Beta 2.  So I don't
> foresee any major changes between now and final release.

Probably because its seldom that new code bases are started and
continued for more than a week compounded by the paucity of
information available on .net. All I know, I got from a 5 day
Developmentor course. I must say I went into the course expecting to
hate it, and came out really rather impressed - especially from a
server-side perspective. I am yet to be convinced about its
viability for games though especially as I don't think hot-spotting
etc.  is supported yet.

Dan