[MUD-Dev] Libs for 3D Client/Servers

Sean Kelly sean at ffwd.cx
Sat Aug 18 23:56:11 CEST 2001

From: "Bruce Mitchener" <bruce at puremagic.com>
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> From: "Brian Hook" <bwh at wksoftware.com>

> I'm not particularly clear here on what you meant by "gets rid of
> security concerns".  Which aspects of security in particular were
> you referring to?  Happen to know if end-user scripting -on- a
> running NWN server will be possible?  If so, what're the plans for
> keeping that secure?

By security, I meant the user's ability to exploit the language/API
(either intentionally or accidentally) to affect something beyond
the scope of the game itself.  That is, there won't be API functions
to do anything related to file manipulation, socket communications,
etc.  About the worst thing someone may be able to do is crash the
server by forcing it to allocate too much memory.

As for scripting on a running server... I don't think it's possible.
Modules and their code will all be static.  Though it may be that
the server doesn't read an application file until it's needed, in
which case you may still be able to do creative things with copying
files around.

I'm waiting for some more info on the game to see just how tricky I
can get with it.  From some of the bits I've heard, it may be that
we'll be able to do more than thought.

Sean