[MUD-Dev] Pocket PC Development

Peter Tyson ptyson at datamonitor.com
Sun Aug 19 13:47:29 CEST 2001

> From: Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com

> There is actually a small feature on a company doing this in this
> months 'Edge' magazine. They are basically using the iPaqs as dumb
> clients for a wireless LAN.

Yes, they're a Finn company right? I saw their stuff in Stockholm
since they have partnered with Compaq. There was Quake streaming to
iPaqs and you could play multiplayer hehe. I roXXored the suits.

Only problem with this neat idea is that there's so few places with
large wLan setups. I mean, in Europe there's Stockholm Airport and
parts of downtown Stockholm and...?  That's about it really. Maybe
some other airports.

the industry thinks that wLan base stations will hit up to 3km range
over the next few years (only 100m at best now) which would mean
that you could almost have a cell-phone like network (at least in
cities) and it's dirt cheap compared to a 3G mobile phone base
station.

So while it's a cool idea, don't expect much for the next 3 years at
least.

There will be exceptions to this rule such as Starbucks setting up
some wLan thingy in its shops.

Peter