[MUD-Dev] TECH: .Net (was: programming languages (was: Re: TE CH: STL / Heaps, etc.))

Justin Rogers justin at mlstoday.com
Tue Aug 21 18:21:29 CEST 2001

[Jo]

> My understanding is that .NET code is compiled to native code
> before execution - it never runs in an interpreted/JITted VM at
> all. Hence you get native code speed without the overhead of
> running a JIT.

There are several options.  We have a fast jitter which is optimized
for quickly JIT'ing code from IL to native at run-time.  We have an
optimizing JIT'er.  We even have a Pre-JIT'er known as ngen which
allows you to pre-jit your code to native instructions and store
that in the GAC where it can be accessed by any program on the
machine.

Do we do some neat JIT scenarios?  Yes we do.  We do JIT on demand,
but we cache the results so it is only ever JITed once.  We can
selectively JIT down to the method level I believe, I don't think we
can selectively JIT and cache a piece of a method.

The .NET, however, isn't to be compared to Java since it does
compile all the way down to native code rather than running in a
virtual machine.