ColdC documentation ([MUD-Dev] SMAUG Code)

brandon at roguetrader.com brandon at roguetrader.com
Wed Aug 29 09:36:00 CEST 2001

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 12:00:54PM -0600, Corey Crawford wrote:

> And it would be more efficient, I'm sure, if I didn't have to
> consult a small reference guide (that should be the size of a
> dictionary) every 5 lines. I'm sure I'll be dancing around with
> joy the day I actually /learn/ ColdC to a degree where I can read
> it without scratching my head half way through.

I am currently trying to get people (end users) to give me feedback
on the docs, where they need help, and I am trying to pound them
into something more useable.  The problem with the ColdC manual is
it is a raw reference book for just the language (not the core
libraries), which also by and large assumes you already know many
programming mechanisms and constructions.  This of course does not
work well as a tutorial.  Then there is the mammoth issue of the
appearance of no core documentation, when by and large its somewhat
just a large set of disassociated convoluted docs (they exist,
really!  Just hard to find).

So I am currently working on smoothing them out and making them more
useful, but what I need help with is external new-user input on
where a topic line just disconnects, or where it goes from an
understandable level and suddenly skyrockets into an esoteric plane.
My problem is somewhat akin to the "can't see the forest for the
trees" issue, for me it makes complete sense.  This of course could
also say something about my sanity; if you dont want to lose any san
points perhaps you shoudn't help out :)

-Brandon Gillespie