[MUD-Dev] First use of "avatar"?

Fri Dec 14 00:58:26 CET 2001

"Koster, Raph" wrote:

> I think The Realm and ToonChat were right around the same time. I

What is ToonChat, a mixup with Toon Town (the Roger Rabbit thing)?
Maybe you mean the IRC client Comic Chat, later renamed to Microsoft
Chat? I guess M59, AW, WorldChat, Palace, Comic Chat and The Realm
all became popular at about the same time, 1996.

I think some Palace users also used "toon" as in: can I have "ur
toon plz?". Even some presumably hardcore M59 users seem to use
"toon".  *shrug* I'm getting old.

Ohyeah, one irrelvant post I wrote that didnt make it, but I think
it is fun anyway so I let it have another go (note to self: should
really quit using sendmail as a front-end): the first mention of
"MUD" I could find on Usenet seems to date back to 1984 and was
primarily a complaint about the prevalent PvP aspect in the first
MUD.  I guess there are some people that rightly could say "I told
you so!". Oh, and I also found a guy that was proud to have got hold
of a copy of Bartle's AI book.  Amazing what you find in those
archives. Ah, and it's good to see that you don't like John Norman's
"Gor", ;-) Rather disturbing to see the gor philosophy hold onto
AW... Women only realize themselves as women when they are slaves?
whattheheck?

A slightly disoriented,
Ola.