[MUD-Dev] Ebay bans character selling

Neeby neeby at sheergenius.com
Thu Feb 1 00:50:22 CET 2001

At 09:08 AM 1/30/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Frank Crowell:

>> http://www.gravityspot.com/classaction2/Pro.asp

> Which includes:

>   "I want you to know that I am in favor of the suit. Sony and
>   Verant closed my account after many months of charging my credit
>   card for access to their game. I am very angry and will support
>   you in whatever way I can."

> If EQ players really cared about this, then Verant (or whoever
> controls EQ's account policy) would change their mind.  But EQ
> players don't care.  They grumble, but they haven't noticeably
> boycotted.  I'd guess if 20,000 players cancelled their accounts,
> more than average, this EQ account policy would disappear.

Well, it's hard to, "Just say no."  *chuckles* But seriously.  The
very people who take ownership of their character and in game items
seriously enough to want the company to change their policy are the
same people not willing to lose those characters and items during a
'boycott.'

That's one of the biggest reasons I keep my UO account going. I'm
-that- attached to my 'stuff.'  Most of these MMORPG games require
frequent refreshes of items, property, and characters or you risk
losing them to decay or an inactivity wipe.  So what does cancelling
my account do?  It ensures the very things I'm -so- completely
attached to will no longer even be usable by me, let alone 'owned'

It's a catch-22 for the people who care the most.