[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

David Loeser daklozar at home.com
Thu Feb 1 10:16:54 CET 2001

> From: mud-dev-admin at kanga.nu [mailto:mud-dev-admin at kanga.nu]On
> Behalf Of Ben Chambers

> Graphics take more space, and hence more bandwidth.  They are also
> harder to implement, not as easy to make cross platfrom, and much
> more difficult to make.

I'm not sure that I completely agree with your statement; Yes,
graphics do take up more space (on the users HD). But, are they really
more difficult to implement? I think this might be a matter of
experience and opinion. There are graphics libraries available that
allow for portability, OpenGL comes to mind. With a little up front
design you can place graphics code into system dependent sections in
various ways, be it preprocessor symbols or make files - it can be
done. And keep in mind that this dependency is only on the client. The
server does not have to be design/coded for multiple systesm - only
the one that you are going to run it on.

> Ascii is faster and more efficient, and allows for more of the
> processor and space to be devoted to game play developments

Ascii is faster and more efficient? I'm not sure what it is your
compairing Ascii to - essentially you have the same data structures
and algorythms in a graphical mud that you have in an ascii mud. The
one area that is different and might be what you are eluding to is the
"dead reckoning" algo on the client. Since graphical muds are usually
on a finer grain than ascii based muds. Is this what your refering to?

At anyrate - I think that everyone is moving with technology and even
old mud gamers are asking for more from their gaming experience, even
Roguelike gamers are looking for games that have graphics.

Game On,
David "Dak Lozar" Loeser