[MUD-Dev] PvP Systems

Federico Di Gregorio fog at mixadlive.com
Thu Feb 1 15:10:20 CET 2001

hi,

i think the system you propose is well tought. but i don't like it
anyway. let me exaplain why. imho, player vs player interaction are an
area of the mud that should be left to humans. by that i mean that you
decide if to rob another guy, then you pay the consecuences. the mud
should allow for about anything. the people should then enforce some
kind of law. let the players manage justice. anyway here are some
comments on your system:

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered John Buehler's letter:

> The reason for having a range of such actions is so that players can
> resolve conflicts (or initiate them) at the level that they and
> their prospective opponents are interested in.  This means that
> players might be perfectly willing to get into a bar fight, but have
> no interest in dueling or thieving, etc.

this is true only if the players play the mud as a game and not as a
*role-playing* game. but we can start another thread on that if
somebody is interested.

> Switches would be created for each logical area of conflict actions.
> Further, the switches would not be limited to all/none with respect
> to the set of players.  Each player can indicate which players they
> are interested in engaging in 'conflict actions' with.  This permits
> players to craft the sort of game that they are after and with WHOM
> they want.

i am not sure i like this one too. if a player is interested in, say
bar fights, it would be very strange for him to be able to kick only
some of the guys involved in the fight.

[maybe setting and grouping cut]

but i like the grouping stuff. makes the players feel more the fact
that they are part of a group (guild.)

> All constructive commentary is welcome.

all the other stuff is pretty clear, but implementing it all (and all
the special-cases that will surely pop up during the testing) would
consume a lot of resources, i think. is all that work necessary? isn't
much more simpler and elegant to let the *player* decide if it is
necessary to jail a guy that kills to much without reason?

ciao,
federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio
MIXAD LIVE Chief of Research & Technology              fog at mixadlive.com
Debian GNU/Linux Developer & Italian Press Contact        fog at debian.org
                      The number of the beast: vi vi vi. -- Delexa Jones