[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

Ben Chambers bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Thu Feb 1 21:17:22 CET 2001

<EdNote: Quote trimmed>

----- Original Message -----
From: <the_logos at www.achaea.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

> Ascii is faster and more efficient mainly because it is such low
> resolution, meaning that a screen of it cannot communicate very much
> information. A picture is worth much more than a thousand
> words. Ascii graphics can communicate even less information than a
> text mud, in fact, due to the sophisticated coding mechanism
> (language) of a text mud.

> Ascii graphics may be faster (though I'm dubious that they'd use
> less bandwidth/player than Everquest does, for instance), but they
> are also primitive and you're very limited in what can be done with
> them.

I am saying that it is possible to implement an interface similar to a
rouguelike game, something like this is your screen

  ------------------------------------
  | player stats go here              |
  |-----------------------------------|
  | map goes here                     |
  | standard mud text commands here   |

in this way you still have the detailed text of a text-based mud, but
gain the ease of navigation and area visualization, and the darkness
and hidden aspects.  I envision a client that the mud sends data to in
different packages, the stat package, the map package, and the text
package.  The client then puts these in the appropriate locations.