[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

Corey Crawford myrddin at seventh.net
Thu Feb 1 23:29:32 CET 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Chambers" <bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com>

> I am saying that it is possible to implement an interface similar to
> a rouguelike game, something like this is your screen

>   ------------------------------------
>   | player stats go here              |
>   |-----------------------------------|
>   | map goes here                     |
>   |                                   |
>   |                                   |
>   |-----------------------------------|
>   | standard mud text commands here   |
>   ------------------------------------

Just a note here, there is a small group of players who use screen
readers (usually because they are blind) and thus cannot play any
fancy "seeing" games. Text MUDs are, obviously, one of the few types
of online games they can play. Doing stuff like the above would not
translate well with a screen reader, thus alienating any of those
players.

True, it's a very small subset of all the players, but hey.. they
_are_ players, and I can tell you, the first "screen reader friendly"
(good) MUD they find gets quiet a bit of word-of-mouth
recommendations.

Just curious, but has anyone even taken screen readers and such into
consideration for whatever game they happen to be making?

---
Corey Crawford | myrddin at seventh.net | www.seventh.net