[MUD-Dev] PvP Systems

the_logos at www.achaea.com the_logos at www.achaea.com
Sun Feb 4 01:59:42 CET 2001

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Jon Lambert wrote:
> Federico Di Gregorio wrote:

> Like I said above this is an entirely different animal.  When RPing
> players outnumber GOPing players 10-1, then you a have framework for
> RP.  The number of NPCs is irrelavent, because NPCs can't role-play,
> unless of course a player or GM is running them.  ;-)

Well, he said when AI gets better to the point at which NPCs can
roleplay.

>> yes but.. after having his character justiced or jailed and having
>> the player re-create it once or twice the malicious guy will
>> leave...  guaranteed.

> Hehe.  You would think so.  In practice there does exists a player
> type we've various called a crusader or stalker.  In the past I
> would have thought such player types were rare.  However in the the
> past 8 months, I've personally encountered 2 of these odd birds.
> Their primary goal is to harass and disrupt a particular mud they've
> been banned from.

I've definitely had similar experiences. I think the writer of the
comment to whic you replied probably hasn't ever run a mud for very
long. We've had assheads pester us for over 2 real-life years. It's
three of them (I think) from some Canadian small town where I'm
convinced the government dumped nasty substances in the water. The
trio is very spottable and does buy small amounts of credits from
us. However, every single character of theirs has been turned into a
shrub, outright deleted, etc. They just keep coming back for
more. They aren't even malicious. They're just stupid and loyal like a
retarded puppy. You can kick them as much as you like and they just
come back for more, and are happy about it. Yet, they manage to throw
tantrums, piss off most of our players, and so on.

There are ways to deal with this of course. Require a credit card to
register and then ban that credit card (people may have multiple
credit cards, but they'll run out eventually). Ban the ip. Require a
valid e-mail address from somewhere other than a free mail
provider. None of them are anywhere near foolproof, and both the first
and last will cut down on the size of your playerbase.

--matt