[MUD-Dev] Re: PvP systems

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Sun Feb 4 03:50:10 CET 2001

> From: "John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com>
> To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
> Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] PvP Systems
> Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 11:42:42 -0800

> gmiller at classic-games.com writes:

>> Yep, the libertarian vs. authoritarian argument is pretty
>> fundamental to the design of any system which attempts to
>> regulate player vs. player hostility.

> *chuckle* I love it when people speak about libertarian concepts
> as applied to children.  Libertarian principles assume so much
> about personal responsibility, yet children have an unformed
> notion of that.

Then perhaps "libertarian" is not the term I should be using. I
don't believe anything that requires a sense of personal
responsibility will work on any reasonable scale with adults or
children, in RL or a game world. Personal greed is better--children
and adults have plenty of that.

>> Indeed, but not all of us find being powerless to protect
>> ourselves more entertaining than being required to do so. Much of
>> the problem with UO in the early days was that it lacked
>> sufficient tools to deal with excessive PK. That doesn't imply
>> that the problem is inherent to all conceivable player-run
>> systems.

> I'll agree that there are distinct types of players out there.
> Some enjoy the challenge of taking on the whole world.  But I'll
> say that that group is only a bit larger than the group of
> roleplayers out there.  Further, combat and confrontation are only
> a small piece of the overall notion of what people find personally
> entertaining.  If a single virtual world is going to be built that
> brings people like you and people like me together, the game must
> regulate their interactions.  I want to hunt smart animals and
> occasionally defend

[snip the continuation]

I'm not saying I want a dangerous world. I want a world where I
don't have to deal with odd admin rules interpretations, admin
whims, and the irritating wait to have some employee come fix my
problem for me in those inevitable cases where another player causes
me trouble. I want the ability to apply negative reinforcement in
the face of inappropriate behavior.

--
http://www.classic-games.com/              http://www.indie-games.com/
"If you torture a ballot long enough, eventually it'll confess."