[MUD-Dev] bandwidth

William Katzell wilhelm at stu.athabascau.ca
Mon Feb 5 00:55:43 CET 2001

the_logos at www.achaea.com wrote:

> I'm curious what kind of average bandwidth/player/minute some of
> the other MUDs out there use. I'm curious about both text and
> graphical.

> Achaea, we've discovered, is actually transmitting an average
> (very rough average based on probably not enough samples) of about
> 3.3k/player/minute, which seems high to me.

3.3k/player/minute is about average.  Consider that an average line
of text contains 60 to 80 characters (not including escape codes for
colour).  3.3k/minute translates into 55bps|cps which means about 1
line of text per second.  If you use that as a base number for
calculating your usage rates, you'll see that it's not as bad as you
think (or maybe it's worse).

A mud with 20 players on all the time on everage will use (20
players * 55bytes/second * 3600 seconds/hour * 24 hours/day * 30
days/month) = 2.85Gb per month, one way.

Food for thought,

William