[MUD-Dev] bandwidth

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Mon Feb 5 10:58:14 CET 2001

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001 the_logos at www.achaea.com wrote:

> I'm curious what kind of average bandwidth/player/minute some of the
> other MUDs out there use. I'm curious about both text and graphical.
>
> Achaea, we've discovered, is actually transmitting an average (very
> rough average based on probably not enough samples) of about
> 3.3k/player/minute, which seems high to me.

Calls to add_message: 2427611   Packets: 1050378   Average packet size:
189.918903

Approximately: 199486637 byes.  We have been up for 8 hours and 27 minues.
508 minutes.  Which means...: 392690 byes per minute.  400k per
minute...  Hmmm.  This is with roughly 140 people on.  So 2.8k per player
per minute.

So your stats are not that far off from Discworld's results.

Good luck!
David.