[MUD-Dev] Semi Graphical Muds

Ben Chambers bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Tue Feb 6 23:24:57 CET 2001

From: "Kerem HADIMLI" <waster at iname.com>

> the_logos at www.achaea.com wrote:

>> I also have to say that ascii graphics are most certainly not what
>> a graphical mud should be. I, personally, want the best graphics
>> possible. To me, ascii-graphical adventures are completely dead
>> (well, not just to me). There's still room for text-based muds and
>> maybe even other types of text-based games, but why try to use
>> ascii graphics as the core of a game when you can use 3-d or even
>> 2-d graphics that will look much nicer.

> Well, maybe because ASCII graphics don't kill imagination, but still
> provides information to the player on where he's on the area, where
> others are, etc?  You know, normal graphics kill imagination of the
> player, they imagine what they see, but in ASCII graphics, they just
> have a guide in imagining, not a poor imagination itself.

Interesting point, that was what I was trying to say, you worded it
much better then I did, I must admit.  But yeah, shows them a relative
picture of where they are, not a set this is what it looks like.  this
is what you look like.  this is what the goblin looks like when you
kick him.  and kick him the 2nd time.  and the 3rd time...  and the
452nd time...

this may have already been posted, but I envision a MUD client where
there are sections of the screen, and input is seperated... if the
user didn't have this, they would only get the text based version.

  |      map                 |
  |   normal         |       |