[MUD-Dev] New Scientist Article...

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Thu Feb 8 09:10:26 CET 2001

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, rayzam wrote:

> Actually, it's a bit more complicated and a bit less complicated
> than that :) In the exact case:

>   Lift a stick from the table.   -  a neuron fires.
>
>   Watch someone life a stick from the table with the same arm motion -
>   same neuron fires.

> The activity could be getting ready to do the same action.
> Social/group/herd animals. One senses or learns about danger, and
> starts escaping. See a confederate do that, and you crank up the
> neurons that would do the same thing, so you're more prepared to do
> the same thing. Being more prepared neuronally means that you can
> start that action quicker. And that could save you from a predator,
> or other danger.

I wonder what happends, if i watch someone lift a stick from the table
and do that same action myself? What is the function of the 'mirror
neurons' with respect to being 'shared' between two different
'systems' (observing and doing?).

Hans Henrik Stærfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk      |
Address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425     __|
DTU, Kemitorvet,        | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological     |
bygn 208, CBS.          |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of Denmark|